Parents Sue Boston Hospital for Losing Their Baby’s Remains: ‘It’s Like She Died All Over Again,’ Says Mom

Everleigh McCarthy’s remains were “probably mistaken as soiled linens” by a hospital pathologist in the morgue, police stated in a report

A couple whose newborn died days after her birth have filed a lawsuit against Brigham and Women’s Hospital for failing to safeguard their daughter’s remains, which remain lost.

It was just after midnight on July 23, 2020, and Alana Ross was at her Sharon, Massachusetts home when her water broke, according to a complaint obtained by PEOPLE. She was 26 weeks pregnant. Ross and her fiancé, Daniel McCarthy, hurried to Brigham and Women’s Hospital in Boston.

Two days later, Everleigh McCarthy was born via an emergency cesarean-section. She arrived three months early, weighing just a little over 2 lbs. Everleigh soon developed a brain bleed, and as doctors treated her in the NICU, the couple held her, and Alana read her Little Red Riding Hood.

Twelve days after Everleigh’s birth, on August 6, doctors said she would not survive, according to the complaint. They gave her morphine, took her off a ventilator, and as Alana held her in her arms, Everleigh’s heart flatlined.

Dan and Alana said tearful goodbyes, and handed her to nurses, who cleaned her tiny body and dressed Everleigh in a white satin gown. The family would then have to work on the heartbreaking task of funeral arrangements.

The couple decided she’d be buried in the cemetery where Dan’s grandmother was laid to rest, and a funeral home went to pick Everleigh up from the hospital morgue on Monday, August 10, the complaint stated.

However, just hours after Everleigh was supposed to be picked up, Dan took a shocking call from a funeral home worker.

The hospital could not find her body, according to a police report obtained by PEOPLE.

“It’s like she died all over again,” Ross told The New York Times.

Source & Credit:

Related Posts

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.